At Today’s Author, our first goal is to get you (and us) to write. Write Now is our own collection of prompts to help you do that. Every Tuesday and Friday we will present a new writing prompt for you to use in any form you wish — a story, poem, song, script, blog post — whatever works for you!
With Write Now we’re not talking about writing, or trying to teach anyone how to write. Write Now is all about putting pen to paper.
How to play along with our Writing Prompts
- Write in any format or style you wish: short story, poem, script – whatever you like.
- Write for at least 5 minutes. There is no time limit – write for as long as you wish!
- Editing is not required, though we do recommend that you run a spell check at least.
- Post your work to your blog and include a link back here so your readers can find other writer’s work, too.
- Come back here and provide a link to your work on the Write Now! prompt for which it was written.
- Read other authors’ posts and leave constructive comments.
Important Note: When you post a draft of your work online, it may be difficult to find a publisher who will accept it, as many see an online document as being previously published. It may also be ineligible to be submitted for certain writing competitions. Always check publisher’s and competition guidelines before using a draft you put online.
To read what others have produced with our prompts or to add your own story to the list, check out our Write Now Archives, or come back every Tuesday and Friday for a new prompt!